What is it Like to Work with GSS?
GSS seeks to employ individuals who possess high levels of intelligence, integrity, honesty, motivation and aptitude for the profession. We believe it is crucial to find the right people who will provide excellent client service and contribute to a work environment that is uplifting and challenging. We focus on three areas at GSS to make our environment a truly great place to work:
Culture. Every employee at GSS is unique, and we develop a career path that works best for the individual by clearly communicating the overall team strategy and how each person contributes to the overall success of the firm.
Clients. Our clients are comprised of the best businesses, run by top leaders in our community. As we work with organizations in a wide cross-section of industries, we learn how businesses work and leverage that knowledge to consult other clients.
Community. St. Petersburg and the greater Tampa Bay area is a beautiful place to live and work, with a wealth of opportunities to engage with professional, civic and social organizations. GSS encourages all employees to get involved in the organization(s) they are most passionate about, to help improve the communities in which we live and work.
Professionally Challenging Environment. Our client base includes insurance companies, broker dealers, medical practice groups, not-for-profit organizations, manufacturers, real estate and construction companies, and many other areas with complex tax and audit issues. We take a proactive approach in providing solutions to the business challenges our clients encounter.
Opportunity to progress in specialties of your choice. In addition to the traditional audit and tax compliance, we provide services in estate & trust planning, business valuations, medical practice consulting, state and local tax consulting, and others. Continuing professional education is tailored to enhance your skill in the areas you choose to work.
Work with people who are motivated and fun to be with. Our personnel have diverse interests and we support their involvement in community and professional activities with both time and money. We have casual dress Fridays, holiday parties, summer picnics, etc., all supported by the firm. We believe that we should enjoy our livelihood and celebrate life together.
Competitive compensation with incentives that you control. In addition to base compensation, we provide incentives for the individual to increase their own productivity. These incentives can be taken in the form of time-off or money, or a combination.
Gregory, Sharer & Stuart has been located in downtown St. Petersburg in the City Center building since the inception of the firm in 1984. We originally occupied just one small suite on the sixth floor, and through the years grew until we occupied about 12,000 square feet of office space. In 2008, we signed a new ten-year lease and took over the entire sixth floor, expanding to fill over 16,000 square feet.
In conjunction with the new lease, GSS completed a $1 million renovation of the entire space, opening up the office area to the beautiful view of downtown St. Petersburg. The renovation features new offices and workstations with glass panels to allow natural light to filter in throughout the office, an employee breakroom with a view of the Signature Place building and waterfall, and the long awaited larger reception and main conference rooms overlooking the St. Petersburg Pier and waterfront. The ten-month project was completed in January of 2009.
GSS has an open door policy and encourages team members to share thoughts, concerns and ideas with their supervisors, mentors, fellow team members and leaders of the firm. We form committees for topics such as wellness, information technology, mentoring, and young professional career development to find solutions and brainstorm about new and improved processes and solutions. Annually, departments have dedicated retreats to review priorities and contribute to departmental growth and development.
GSS has implemented a paperless environment for both its audit and tax practice departments, seeking to increase efficiency and reduce waste. Tax department professionals often have desktops with three monitors - allowing the professional to review and compare documents on-screen. Audit department employees have docking stations and stationary monitors for their laptops when in the office, and can login through a terminal server whenever working from the field.
Our new breakroom is equipped with microwave, dishwasher, large refrigerator, filtered drinking water, flat screen TV and a view of the St. Petersburg Pier. We have ample room for employees to bring their own lunch - or employees can dine at one of the 50+ restaurants located within walking distance.
In 2011, the City Center building announced renovation projects to include new elevators and redesigned elevator lobbies, a new fitness center with lockers and showers for those that work in the building, a brand new Energy Management System, and new granite floors and modern frameless lobby entrance.
- Company-paid medical, long-term disability and life insurance coverage for employee (additional coverage, including dependent coverage, may be elected for an additional cost)
- Voluntary insurance benefits including dental, short-term disability and supplemental life
- A pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA) plan for dependent and medical care
- Paid Time Off (PTO), up to 27 days per year, available for vacation, personal absences, illness or family emergencies in addition to seven annual paid holidays
- A staff and manager incentive compensation plan
- 401(k) savings/retirement plan to which the firm contributes
- Flexible schedules (subject to approval)
The Mentoring for Success Program. GSS is committed to the professional and personal development of its professional team members. This commitment not only ensures that our team is of the highest caliber, but also that management of the Firm stays in touch with team members and their needs. With this in mind, all team members are assigned a mentor.
A mentor is responsible for:
- Introducing the Firm's vision, culture and core values.
- Clarifying what is expected of you as a new team member and how individual performance is assessed, measured and rewarded.
- Developing annual goals and objectives with you for your personal growth.
- Providing opportunities for both formal and informal feedback from you to the firm.
The internal structure of GSS is designed to better serve our clients and to provide team members with opportunities to heighten their skills. The mentoring program assists in helping team members advance in the firm, develop new skills and gain experience and expertise in practice areas.
Continuing Professional Education. To enable us to respond to the needs of those we serve, it is essential that, from the newest accountant to the most experienced professional, our team members possess the highest qualifications for the practice of public accounting. GSS provides access to a wide variety of tools to assist team members in achieving their goals and objectives:
- Membership in the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Professional publications such as The Journal of Accountancy, Accounting Today, CPA Letter, as well as many widely recognized business publications such as Fortune, Business Week and Forbes
- Professional education courses, conferences, and seminars provided through McGladrey & Pullen, the AICPA, the FICPA, and other recognized training institutes and affiliations
- In-house courses and lunch and learn seminars
- Regularly scheduled assurance services and tax department meetings
- Various webcast, internet, and audio conference CPE courses
- Annual custom business development programs and seminars to provide education in marketing, networking, leadership, time management, sales and other relevant skills for professional staff
Our LinkedIn corporate profile reflects any current job listings. Consider following GSS on LinkedIn or check our corporate profile periodically for new listings.
Senior Tax Manager
Supervise preparation and review of federal and state income tax returns for corporations, S-corporations, partnerships, individuals, and non-profits...
Awards & Honors
Improving the quality of life of our personnel and the communities in which we live and work are fundamental values that shape our culture.
We work with the best businesses and leaders in the community, making it easy to be passionate about what we do.
GSS is proud to be recognized as a great place to work through the following awards:
- Tampa Bay Times Top Workplaces 2010-2017
- Florida Trend Best Companies to Work For 2012-2016
- Tampa Bay Business Journal Best Places to work 2009-2010, 2013-2014
- St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Business of the Year 2009