GSS Gets Involved
Continual Improvements in the Tampa Bay Area
We are fortunate to live in an area that is both beautiful and successful. Our employees live throughout Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Manatee and Sarasota counties, and are involved in organizations committed to improving the quality of life we enjoy. Community involvement and philanthropic support of worthy causes are fundamental to our CPA firm. Gregory, Sharer & Stuart is passionately committed to the community we serve – the community in which we live.
Organizations We Support
Our shareholders and employees are very generous with their time, talent and money to support worthy causes throughout Tampa Bay. We believe in providing financial support, but more importantly emphasize the contribution of time, leadership and passion for the cause.
- Academy Prep Centers
- All Children’s Hospital
- Bill Edwards Foundation
- Boley Centers
- Boys & Girls Clubs of the Suncoast
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay
- Child Protection Center
- Children’s Guardian Fund
- Community Action Stops Abuse
- Florida Holocaust Museum
- Goodwill Industries – Suncoast
- Habitat for Humanity of Pinellas County
- Heroes of the St. Petersburg Police
- Homeless Empowerment Project
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art
- Lighthouse of Pinellas
- Louise Graham Regeration Center
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central and Northern Florida
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- National Christian Foundation
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Mid Florida Chapter
- Northeast Exchange Club of St. Petersburg
- Northeast High School – Academy of Finance
- Pepin Academies
- Pinellas County Medical Association
- Pinellas Education Foundation
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Tampa Bay
- R’Club Child Care, Inc.
- Salvador Dali Museum
- Salvation Army
- St. Pete’s Promise
- Westgate Elementary
- St. Petersburg College Foundation
- St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce
- St. Petersburg Downtown Partnership
- St. Petersburg Police Athletic League
- St. Petersburg YMCA
- Suncoast Center
- Tampa Bay International Heart Foundation
- Tampa Bay Partnership
- Tampa Bay Research Institute
- Tampa Bay Watch
- United Way of Tampa Bay
- University Area Community Development Center
Commitment to Education
GSS Annual Continuing Professional Education Seminar. Annually, GSS organizes and sponsors a comprehensive two-day Continuing Professional Education program with instructors drawn from leading universities and related organizations around the nation. Attendees receive 16 hours of credit in the areas of Audit & Accounting and Technical Business that qualify toward fulfilling their CPA license educational requirements. Registration fees are donated to support accounting education at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg and The University of Tampa. Industry focused seminars. Members of our Industry Service Teams find opportunities to present at professional, civic and social associations in addition to the events we host. Examples of our hosted events include our Semi-Annual Not-For-Profit Forums, Insurance Industry Update Seminars, Construction Industry Presentations, Healthcare Reform Updates, Manufacturing Industry Tours and Sessions and Seminars on Financial, Estate and Succession Planning.
Support for Tampa Bay Area Higher Education
USF – St. Petersburg: The Gregory, Sharer & Stuart Term Professorship in Forensic Accounting
Since 1998, the top accounting students at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg have benefited from generous scholarship and internship opportunities with Gregory, Sharer & Stuart. The partnership we have with USF St. Petersburg has enabled outstanding students to build their accounting skills and is an example of successful collaboration between businesses and public institutions as well as our commitment to the community in developing future business leaders. In 2005, Gregory, Sharer & Stuart stepped forward to provide additional support for USF St. Petersburg by funding the inaugural Term Professorship in Forensic Accounting. The first recipient of this term professorship was Gerald H. Lander, Ph.D., CPA, who held the title for 10 years. The second recipient was recipient is Grover Kearns, Ph.D., CPA. We are proud of our relationship with USF St. Petersburg and believe that our association with Professor Kearns and the USF College of Business will enable us to provide extraordinary educational opportunities and information to our employees and clients.
The University of Tampa: The Gregory, Sharer & Stuart Accounting Faculty
Since 2008, the accounting department at The University of Tampa has received financial support from GSS. The accounting faculty within the business school annually selects a professor who demonstrates outstanding research and faculty development. Recipients of the “Gregory, Sharer & Stuart Accounting Faculty Member of the Year” include:
- Mary Keener, Assistant Professor in Accounting, 2013 recipient.
- Maureen Butler, Assistant Professor in Accounting, 2012 recipient.
- L. Melissa Walters, Associate Professor in Accounting, 2011 recipient.
- Teresa M. Pergola, Associate Professor in Accounting, 2010 recipient.
We are delighted with the selection of these professors and their efforts to improve higher education in accounting.